Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Alien Movies

What is it with goo and aliens? Seems like whenever some sort of alien critter gets shot or crushed, they splatter like, well, bugs. Did Hollywood get a deal on buckets of slime and just decide, "Hey, look at this. Let's make all our aliens gooey from now on."

The title critter in Alien doesn't just ooze out goo, it sprays it out like a busted faucet. Plus, it's not just goo, it's acid goo. So, about the time you realize you're all covered with the funk, then you're melting.

And, it doesn't always stay confined inside their bodies whey they're just out for an alien stroll. Nope, they leave behind a trail of slime like a giant slug.

Even going back to the original Blob with Steve McQueen, the blob (not sure if I should capitalize it or not -- just don't know how I'd address it/him/her if I met it out somewhere. Would it just be, "Hey, blob!", or "Hi, Mr. Blob!"), is just one big mass of slime. Then there's The Green Slime. And, when I was watching the first part of District 9 the other day, the aliens in there look like giant cockroaches. I'm sure they're just nothing but slime inside. I'm sure when I watch the rest of the movie there'll be alien slime all over the place.

4 comments:

  1. Goo is cool ('specially when it eats people).

    Aliens got goo.

    Therefore, aliens are cool (except, of course, when they're smoking hot, like the space vampires in "Lifeforce").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I gotta admit, I like the alien goo movies.

      Delete
  2. And there is some sort of "Species" chick, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but, unfortunately, even the A-listers in this one couldn't save it.

      Delete