Sunday, August 5, 2012

Alien Movies -- Prequels and Sequels

My gang of movie guys and I saw Prometheus (Alien's prequel) the other night, and, afterward, standing out in front of the theater, not a one of us was really sure about what we saw. We all kind of liked it. Kind of. I think. It was loud and large, which, now that I think about it, was exactly the opposite of the original Alien.

The opening sequence I remember oohing and aahing at, as we flew over what appeared to be alien landscapes. We saw a physically perfect humanoid standing at the edge of a humongous waterfall, spaceship hovering nearby. He drinks some sort of goo that appears alive, then he starts to dissolve, lots of pain involved apparently, and does a swan dive over the falls. We then get the Fantastic Voyage-style shots they’ve used, especially since the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movie, traveling through what’s supposed to be the humanoid’s bloodstream and watching his DNA splatter and shatter. Then, a few seconds later, we see new DNA forming – is that supposed to be us, eventually? Reckon so.

And, that’s as good a description of Prometheus as any – guess so. Or, perhaps, sort of. It’s a “sort of” movie. It’s pretty, and lots of stuff happens, and I didn’t get up to hit the restroom once.

However, I’m still not sure what it was about. None of the characters had clear agendas. We learn a little about the “space jockey”, but not enough. At the end, I felt as though I watched a soap opera. They resolved nothing, and depending on how it did at the box office, there’ll certainly be another one.

So, basically, here’s what happened. Some people ate or drank some stuff, some stuff ate some people, some people ate other people, lots of stuff go boom. Silver screen cotton candy.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, wait, I saw that in "Street Trash"; or was it "Redneck Zombies"? Or "The Stuff"? Or....?

    You don't have to go to outer space to eat or drink stuff, or turn into goo, or eat people. At least I never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, perhaps it was "Alien Meets Rocky", or even "Surf Nazis from Mars"?

      Yeah, I know what you mean. The goo transformation part has always been easy for me. I just can't remember which planet I came from.

      Delete
    2. I thought you said you were from Gallifrey. I'm from Tralfamador, myself. Hoo hah!

      Delete
    3. I'm from a little planet just to the north of Gallifrey. Just a light year or so from Proxima Centauri.

      Delete
  2. Hi Movie Man--you are a cesspool of knowlege and I like that. I like your wild mind wanderings. Just saw Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde with John Barrymore at a library movie showing and not sure I think he was such a looker, but thought he was great in the part. I am really getting into these silent movies.
    I like how you're covering the entire gamut of movies and television. Thanks for giving air time to the special effects guru who recently died. I saw the article in the newspaper. Now I will look him up and see more of what he did--such well-known movies. Keep writing, Tom.
    W (the longwinded) Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, W. Yes, this is what I was meant to do. :-)

      Delete