Friday, October 5, 2012

Kentucky Theatre


I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I'd seen plenty of silent films, but all on the small box or a projector screen at the library. Last night, to see the 1927 Academy Award winner, Wings, was just... stellar.

I went with a good friend of mine who had to purchase tickets in advance. And, at 12 dollars a ticket, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not.

Yes, indeed, it was. And, what better way to celebrate the Kentucky Theatre's 90th birthday.

Clark Wilson played the 3-manual Conn theatre organ, accompanying the film with a score he composed some years ago, before the original music was re-discovered.

Oh, man! When he fired that monster up, that's all I needed. The restored print, beautiful. Crisp, clear images with washes of color. It opened with several of the Paramount logos from over the years. And, Clark's playing added to the experience. Several times I forgot I was watching a silent film.

During the quiet moments on the film, his music was muted, soft. Battle sequences, it was large, loud, and driving. Death scenes, the sounds of tragedy. And, during victories, it busted the ceiling. I lost myself in this film experience so much I half-expected to walk out the theater into 1927 Lexington.

And, Clark gave us a short history of music for the silents. Funny to think that when silent movies first came out, no one had any clue what kind of sound or music to use. So, initially, it was someone's Aunt Sally from the local Baptist church, playing a piano. Mostly, they played whatever they already knew how to play, which meant you might watch a romantic scene accompanied by "Shall We Gather at the River?".

The director, William A. Wellman, a WWI flying ace, made sure the dogfights were totally accurate, so he hired former WWI pilots in the area as stunt pilots.

All the actors, including and especially Clara Bow, gave powerful performances. Clara, a cute little firecracker, was fun to watch. She was all over the screen. Our two male leads, Charles "Buddy" Rogers, and Richard Arlen, covered all the emotions from joy to terror to battle-anger. I'm still amazed, spending a good chunk of my life watching mostly talkies, at how much is conveyed through facial and body expressions and movement. As an example, Clara's character, Mary, sees her boyfriend Jack in the arms of another woman. If there was ever a hate stare, she had it. She could've melted through steel.

I'll have more about this wonderful experience tomorrow. The sleep monster beckons to me tonight.

In the meantime, check out the Kentucky Theatre's web site for more information on schedules, special events, and how to make donations to support the Mighty Wurlitzer project.

'til next time... Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment