Saturday, February 2, 2013

3-D or Not 3-D, That is the Question

Thought I'd check before I run out on that tree limb again. Merriam-Webster (the online version -- yeah, I suppose if I wanted to do it right, I'd go to my actual paper dictionary) defines a printer as:

a : a person engaged in printing.
b : a device used for printing; especially : a machine for printing from photographic negatives.
c : a device (as an ink-jet printer) that produces printout.

My question is, if a machine pops out an object, but not something with a picture or text on it, is that device a printer?  Moot point now, I suppose.

So, looks like we need to stretch another word, as there's a new product called a 3-D printer. Basically, it takes a model of an object, say, for example, a plastic door handle for your car (the model is represented mathematically by all sorts of equations and stuff), sends it to this thing called a 3-D printer (it's really just a super-fancy mold), and it spits out a brand new door handle.

Now, pardon my dinosaurish-ness again, but, to me, if you're spewing out a physical object like a door handle, that's not printing, but, okay, I'll play along.

So, anyway, this will be a new manufacturing tool. And, guess what one of the first applications will be? Pez dispensers. But not just any old Pez dispensers, no sirree. They'll use this fancy new technology to make a model of your head, and there you'll be, immortalized. On a Pez dispenser.

Is this a great country, or what?

I can hardly wait 'til we get Star Trek-style transporters. Wonder what the first thing is we'll teleport?

You want fries with that?

'til next time... Adios.

2 comments:

  1. A better question is, "Do you want flies with that?" Why? Well, because the first few people who go through the transporter will likely come out the other end all mixed with other people/things/animals/whatever, like in "The Fly". How about you get your molecules combined with a door handle? But don't get carried away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good point. We could end up with people-cars, or car-people? Talk about becoming one with your car.

      Delete