Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Getting Deep for Christmas

I saw where the SyFy channel is getting into that good ol' holiday spirit with a Christmas movie. The 12 Disasters of Christmas (2012). Hey, sounds like a joyous time for the entire family. But, what kind of disasters, I wonder? Parking at the stores? Can't get the gift in time for Christmas? The new whatever you bought for your kid doesn't go together, work, or is missing stuff?

Well, let's check out a quick synopsis on IMDb. Nope, nothing so mundane as my ideas. No sirree, they're going full-tilt with nothing less than the End of the World. Directed by Steven R. Monroe, who previously brought us such classics as Mongolian Death Worm (2010) and Ice Twisters (2009), it stars Ed Quinn as Joseph and Holly Elissa as Mary. Uh huh.

In case you thirst for more, here's a hastily assembled list of other Christmas classics. Get your medication ready.

Santa With Muscles (1996) Here's a direct quote from IMDb -- "An evil millionaire (Hulk Hogan) gets amnesia and then believes that he is Santa Claus." Seriously, I can't make this stuff up.

Prancer (1989). I saw this thing at the theater for reasons I can't recall. Years of therapy still haven't helped as I watched Sam Elliott and Cloris Leachman and a reindeer with an injured leg spread some Christmas something all over the screen.

Deck the Halls (2006) with Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito as suburbanite neighbors in an all-out decorating war. Ho ho ho!  And, yes, I paid good money to see that one, too.  I don't know.  Something in the air, I guess.

And, for a little TV nostalgia, there's The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) with Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Diahann Carroll, and The Jefferson Starship helping a batch of Wookies celebrate Life Day. Yup. It's true.

Well, that's about all the Christmas joy I can toss your way this time.

'til next time... Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment