Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Duck and... What?

Taking a blast back to the past, and recalling an old motto from the early Atomic Daze, how's about the term "Duck and Cover"?  Anyone remember that one?  Referring to what we're supposed to do if we see one of those Red Balloons, to borrow from an 80's song by Nina.  The Big One.  Mushroom Cloud.

Got to thinking about it in honor of this being 2012 and all, and there won't be a 3013, according to the Mayans.  Ah, those pranksters.  They never told us they just ran out of paper for the calendar.  Oh, well.

So, how many different disasters, real and imagined, have we had to “duck and cover” or “stop, drop, and roll” to over the years? Right now we have the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut, in preparation for the Shake and Quake that’s supposed to happen here smack dab in the middle of the good ol’ US, thanks to the New Madrid Fault. And, the motto for this one is “drop, cover, and hold on”. So, now I’m all confused. Now I have to remember which one of the disasters it is we’re having. For an atomic attack when they deliver some ordinance to us, we do the “duck and cover”. But, if there’s a fire I have to “stop, drop, and roll”.

Okay, so what happens if I get mixed up, and there’s a fire, but I’m thinking it’s an atomic attack. And all I remember is something about ducking and stopping. Or maybe I stop and duck. What then? Or, say I get really confused and I remember it as “step on a duck” and there aren’t any ducks handy. And, besides, I don’t want to step on any ducks, anyway. No, I can most assuredly say that I will not step on any ducks.

So, there I am. No ducks around to step on and I’m not gonna step on them, anyway.

We’ve got nuclear blasts, fire, and earthquakes covered, but what about the others? You know, like tornadoes, floods, lava flows, Beanie Baby attacks, fire sales, Black Friday, Red Thursday, and whatever other Big Bad Things head our way.
 
At any rate, I think we should all just "Party Like It's 1999", referring to that 80's song by the musician with no name.
 
'til next time... Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment