Wednesday, November 7, 2012

No Laughing Matter

What to say of The Man Who Laughs (1928)? I suppose I wasn’t eager to watch it at first. Wasn’t really sure how disfigured he (Conrad Veidt’s character, Gwynplaine) would be. It just didn’t fit my idea of a horror film. And, even though what I now consider a horror film has expanded since our band of horror warrior first united over four years ago, I need to refine and redefine it further.

I don’t necessarily want to harp on many current so-called horror movies. Several of these I would term splatter or gross-out films.  But, there are some fine modern horror movies out there, and not just from the U.S. But, what we once thought of as a horror film has changed.

One possible definition of horror is 'repulsive'. So, In The Man Who Laughs, Gwynplaine’s disfigured face might be considered repulsive or horrifying to some, although most often in the film the reaction of the other characters was laughter. For myself, the horrifying part of the film concerned that which was done to Gwynplaine.

Okay, enough philosophizing.

When The Man Who Laughs came out we were closing in on the tail end of the German Expressionist era. The film hit theaters during the transition from silent films to “talkies”, and the first feature-length talkie (The Jazz Singer) was released just six months earlier. The Man Who Laughs had sound effects and music, but no dialogue. And, I think, it’s perfect the way it is. I’m not so sure that it wouldn’t have taken something away by having the actors speak.

I felt great sympathy for Gwynplaine. The story begins with Gwynplaine as a small boy, the prince, a victim of political betrayal and maneuverings he had no part in. Surgically disfigured with a permanent grin, rather than horrified, tears stung my eyes as I watched him in his early years, an outcast, trying to survive. Then we see his gentle nature as he rescues an orphan girl. This is no monster. He is the victim. Those who did this to him are the monsters.

Our story picks up years later. Gwynplaine and Dea, the girl he saved (who is blind), have an adopted father who loves them. All perform in the old man’s travelling circus, where Gwynplaine is accepted among the other performers.

I loved this movie, primarily due to Conrad Veidt’s ability to show so much emotion with only his eyes. And, then, the storyline, too, was wonderfully interwoven. I read that the ending of the movie differs from that of Victor Hugo’s book, but I enjoyed the film so much I’m not sure I’ll read the book. This is a genre-less movie, primarily because the story encompasses everything from adventure to melodrama, political intrigue to love story. And, we have a truly memorable character in Gwynplaine.

Ah, I have so much more to tell of this great film, but I've run out of time for the evening.  I shall pick back up tomorrow.
 
'til next time... Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment