Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No Waiting

What I like most about this current age of computer technology is how it’s sped things up for us. Once, back in the early days of PC’s, you’d turn it on, hit the bathroom, brew a cup of java, and… maybe it would be booted up by the time you got back.

Then, we got newer, faster computers with more applications that could do more stuff for us. And, while our programs loaded (if they loaded at all) the designers put a friendly little “progress bar” on our screens that snailed their way back and forth, hypnotizing us while we waited again.

But, wait, there’s more. That was the message given us on the ads for the M-tel Slice-o-matic and the Magic Egg Smasher.

TV news promises “More to come…” some time during the day, that if we wait until the 11 o’clock news, all shall be revealed.

Meanwhile, the various not-so-smart phone manufacturers tell us to wait for the new version, the new phone, or wait for our call to go through.

And still the computer companies want us to wait for the latest/greatest operating system, hardware, or whizbang that will connect us all through the Ultranet and give us unlimited knowledge.

If I wait for the next model of a car with the Zypp Onboard Navigation System, it will drive me to my destination, drop me off, and tell me to have a nice day.

Conversely, if I wait too long, I’ll miss my opportunity to get this great sale for THIS ONE DAY ONLY! And, I’ll never ever be able to get the same deal on this 800 bazillion-pixel fourth dimensional wrap-around sound/TV/home theater ever again.

And, if I wait too long I can’t get my phone/TV/music/cable/computer/automated home butler and security system butler all packaged together.

At any rate, my coffee is brewed. Think I’ll grab the pen and paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment