Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Monkeys and Other People

Everyone loves monkeys, right? And, what better than monkey movies? Problem is, I can’t find a really good list. So, I’m starting it right here. It’s gonna take some time to compile, but, don’t worry, I’ll alternate by writing non-monkey posts, too. So, here we go.

And, I'm gonna ask for your help. Anyone reading my blog, if you have a monkey movie you love, want to see, or plan on making, post a comment, please. At some point, down the road, I'll have everyone vote on their favorites.

One qualification, though. I want funny monkeys, or action-packed monkeys, or scary monkeys. And, all fiction, please. I don't want any where I'm gonna get all depressed. I love monkeys and I want this to be a fun post. Let's keep it light.

King Kong (1933) – Yep, let’s pull out the big guns first by featuring a big monkey. I still love this one and it's perhaps my favorite. The story is pure "beauty-and-the-beast", and Kong is as cool as they get.

Planet of the Apes (1968). The original, of course, with Charlton “Get your hands off me…” Heston. My second favorite. No comparison to the other one, which is:

Planet of the Apes (2001). I thought Mark Wahlberg could've done better, though I really liked Tim Roth. Wasn't Mark's fault. I didn't think much of the script in this one.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Not really a monkey film as the apes in their pre-evolving state were only featured for a short time. But, they were great costumes, and the actors in the costumes truly moved apelike. Yeah, I'm cheating here, but ya gotta love the monkeys here. It's when they start evolving, learning how to use tools, and knock each other over the head, that the trouble starts.

Okay, everyone else's turn now.  Let's get your monkey comments in.

'til next time... Adios.

4 comments:

  1. How about "Bedtime for Bonzo" and "Mighty Joe Young"? Then there's my daughter's favorite monkey movie, "Space Chimps." And while "Night at the Museum" isn't about monkeys, it features a very naughty capuchin. The chimps in the "Madagascar" franchise films are hilarious, and the villian in the last "Ice Age" movie is a baboon. There's a chimp in "The Pirates! Band of Misfits," but the role is, in my opinion, sadly underutilized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the monkey movie suggestions. I had entirely forgotten about "Mighty Joe Young". I think there's a recent version, too. I actually have not seen the original, either, but it's on my must-watch list.

    I vaguely remember "Space Chimps". I need to check that one out, too. :-)

    Thanks and take care,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's "Son of Kong", of course, and "King Kong vs. Godzilla", and all those Tarzan movies. But I bet nobody else will mention "Charlie Chan at the Circus", starring Warner Oland, possibly my favorite of that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Thanks, man. Charlie Chan goes on the list. Also, I think I saw when I was a kid a giant robot Kong. Not sure of the title of that one.

      Delete