Sunday, January 13, 2013

Weird World of Tech

Okay, I think I'm done with the upcoming batch of stuff for our TVs.

First up, they (and, we all know who "they" are) are working on 3D TV that doesn't require the glasses. I've watched a lot of 3D over the last 30 plus years, and one of my big complaints has been the glasses. Especially now that I have to wear them over my regular glasses. And, pretty much, 3D is what it's always been -- a gimmick, right up there with Smell-O-Vision and the thumpers built into theater seats (more on that later).

But, I'm not so sure I want to invest the time, energy, and money in 3D TV. First, it would need to be wall-sized so you could get the full immersion process. Then, if you're sitting too far to the right or left, will it be like watching the old projection TVs where you lose the effect? And, finally, I don't know that I want to be that immersed. I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur, but I don't know that I care to push the tech envelope any further.

Next down the highway is TV that uses facial recognition software (Minority Report, anyone?) to tailor the programs for a more interactive experience. In other words, you're watching you're favorite shows, then get up and head out the room. Someone else comes in, this Big Brother tech figures out what the next person likes to watch and displays accordingly. Resistance is futile.

Finally, here's some movie theater tech coming out from companies such as the CJ Group, a South Korean outfit, that will build theaters souped up with seat thumpers, vibrating devices, light and sound machines, and other live-action special effects to "enhance" your theater-going experience.

I'm saying no. Especially when you consider that it's all been done before by schlockmeisters such as William Castle. Didn't last real long back then, either.

Think I'll go read a book.

'til next time... Adios.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm going to air a gripe I have. These new flat-screen TVs that are not so new anymore, are they really an improvement over the ones we had for years before that? I don't think so because they take forever to turn on and to change channels. If you're a channel surfer, forget it. I mostly just watch DVDs, but I'm sick of having to wait and wonder if the thing is going to turn on already!

    I don't know what's coming next, but I'm ready to go back to TVs that turn on right away and turn instantly from channel to channel. And are less expensive than the ones now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree. I'm an old dinosaur, and one thing I miss about the old picture tube TV's was you plugged it in, hooked up cable or an antenna, turned the beast on, and that was it. Now, there are way too many choices and decisions to make. I wouldn't complain about going back to the old TV's.

    ReplyDelete