Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Director Who Blew Himself Up

I see so many movies where I can predict what comes next. Oh, he did that, so she’ll do that, and then they shoot this guy, etc. Not so with Quentin Tarantino’s latest genre-buster, Django Unchained (2012). Here, anything can happen. With the ideal combo of great writing, acting, directing, and cinematography, literally, I could not tell you what would happen next. And, that’s one of the reasons this movie is so great and so much fun.

This is a revenge movie. I’m finally getting the idea that Quentin does pretty much all revenge. At least the few movies I’ve seen of his. Admittedly, I’ve only seen a handful, and those most recent, including the Kill Bill duology (2003 and 2004), Inglourious Basterds (2009), and now Django Unchained. I saw Pulp Fiction (1994) when it first came out and didn’t care for it, so I probably need to take another look at it, especially now that I “get” Tarantino. Maybe I still won’t like it, I don’t know, but I need to give it another watch.

We start off somewhere in Texas, head up to Tennessee, then finally down to Mississippi, where we spend most of the movie. So, since this takes place in the South, is it a Southern?

Blaxploitation? Sure. Spaghetti Western. Check. But, this film is genreless. Basically, though, it starts off showing a group of slaves chained together, led on a brutal march by two slave traders. And, along comes this “dentist” driving a horse-drawn cart with a gigantic tooth on the top.

Okay, I've run out of time for tonight and I have a lot more to say about this film.  More tomorrow.

'til next time... Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment